University of Pennsylvania Health System

Lung Transplant Update | Penn Medicine

We'd like to know what types of information you find most valuable or relevant. Please take this brief survey.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Transplant Patient Success Story

Karen was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), and received a double lung transplant 7 years ago. COPD is one of the most common lung disorders that affects a person’s ability to breathe and lung capacity. Karen received her double lung transplant at Penn Medicine by Alberto Pochettino, MD.

This June, I will celebrate a very special anniversary. It will be 7 years since I received my double lung transplant at Penn Medicine.

When I was first diagnosed with COPD, my lungs were functioning at 38% of what they should be. I was told that when I reached 25% I should get on the list for a lung transplant. Talk about shocking.

I was determined get well and have the chance to extend my life for however long I could, and promised myself I would be grateful for every day that I got.

Preparing for Transplant Surgery

Before the transplant, I exercised within a pulmonary rehabilitation program where I exercise under supervision. It was difficult, but I knew that the better shape I was in prior to my lung transplant surgery, the better chance I would have a successful recovery.

I waited on the transplant list for 3½ years before I got the first call it was time for my life-changing surgery. I was so scared, but when we arrived I was told my surgery would have to wait because the donor lungs weren’t oxygenating well.

I was back on the transplant list, and about 3 months later, I got the call again. This time, I wasn’t scared. My husband - my rock - was very confident all would be okay, and his confidence made me feel strong.

Life with New Lungs

It wasn’t always easy, but I continued to exercise with my rehabilitation team knowing the results would pay off. Today, I exercise for 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on a spinner bike 5 days a week. I try to remember that I don’t have to go fast, and if I am having a bad day, I may lower my speed- but I still exercise. That’s been my motto, and I think it has helped me.

I am also diligent about taking my medications, and eating well. Whatever system works for you, stick to it. Every night, I plan out my medications to make sure I don’t miss anything. Since my transplant, there are so many things I can do that I couldn’t do before. I can walk long distances when we go on vacation – I even went rafting on a recent summer trip. I am an avid baseball fan, and just being able to go to games is a big accomplishment for me. Grandchildren’s birthdays, graduations, school plays, so many things I can do now. I wake up every morning happy to see another day – life is good!

My advice to other transplant patients: Have confidence in your transplant team, exercise, take all your medications, eat well, and most all, don’t think of yourself as a “sick” person. Every day is a new beginning, a day we would not have had if it had not been for “the gift of life.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow some people don't live to tell their story!! God bless you with many more years to come!

    ReplyDelete